In today's marketplace, homes will sell quicker if you do some preparation for the sale. You want your home to catch the attention of the buyers. You want your property to standout against the other homes. You want the buyer to feel your price is appropriate and bid accordingly. Using this checklist will help improve your chances of getting the recognition you want as you sell your home.
- Make it spotless. Clean everything, including carpets, appliances, windows and blinds.
- Keep it fresh. Get rid of any odors, such as mildew, pet or cooking smells.
- Cut the clutter. A cluttered house looks smaller. Clear off tabletops, counters, dressers, and mantles.
- Pack up personal photos and collections. You want potential buyers to imagine themselves living in your home. Personal items can distract buyers from concentrating on the house itself.
- Create open, welcoming spaces. Arrange furnishings to highlight each room's strongest point such as fireplace or nice view. Make rooms appear more spacious by eliminating extra furniture and accessories.
- Let the light in. Prune back any plants that block natural light. Keep blinds and curtains open, especially if there is a view.
- Brighten up walls. A fresh coat of paint makes a room more inviting. Light, neutral shades in warm tones make a room appear larger, and they appeal to most buyers.
- Clean up the yard. Keep the lawn mowed and green. Store toys and garden tools. Weed flower beds. Add a fresh layer of bark to landscaped areas.
- Make a great entrance. Paint the front door. Install a nice door knob set and porch light. Fill a planter with seasonal flowers. Put up stylish house numbers.
- Give it a drive-by inspection. Put yourself in the buyer's place. Drive up to the front of your home and look at it through fresh eyes. Is there anything you've missed? A gate that needs touch-up paint? A shrub that needs pruning?
Remember, you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Taking some extra care before you put your house on the market can pay off with a quicker sale and a higher offer. The above are some tips for getting your home ready to sell. When you are ready to take the next step, call me. I am ready to help with all of your real estate needs from preparing your home for market to closing the escrow.